Saturday, January 21, 2012

In Gisborne!

Got here Friday morning 11am, met at Gisborne airport by Sandra, one of the midwives with whom I will soon be working.  After dropping off my bags at 'flat #3' (not a flat but a 2 bedroom prefab house on hospital grounds---Julie, it's just like the rez in that way), she took me on a tour of the town and surrounding area, we got a bite at a bookstore cafe downtown (yay for bookstores and for cafes!), then went by the hospital to meet more future colleagues.  Sandra's been here awhile, she's originally from the UK so was great at filling me in on what it's like to come from elsewhere.  The maternity unit is small and sweet, they do around 700 births/year so it's busy enough, a good neonatal unit right next door.  Everyone is so friendly and welcoming.
That evening went to a picnic along the river and listened to a local country music group perform.  I crashed into bed at 9:30 and slept hard until 6am, got up, fixed breakfast and just as I was heading out the door to walk to a farmer's market in town, my neighbor knocked and not only offered a ride to the market, but invited me along for a drive up the coast with 2 other women.  Bought some manuka honey, tea tree brie (haven't tried it yet but looks good), a bottle of local Pinot Gris, and fresh strawberries at the market.  These people do know how to live---the 3 top local cheeses are Brie, Camembert, and Bleu. Cheese, wine, strawberries.  Life can be worse.
Drive up the coast----suffice it for now to say: walked on the longest pier in NZ, ate great fish and chips, and sat in a pub listening to Neil Diamond karaoke with locals, just up the road from where Whale Rider was filmed.
Photos to come when I have better connect.  I'm hijacking wifi and it comes and goes at the drop of a hat.

1 comment: